[DB-SIG] ImportError: cx_Oracle and the missing DLL

Sean Steeg steegness at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 30 14:52:17 EST 2003

After putting Google and its search brethern to task for the past few hours,
I've decided to come seeking assistance here.

I'm attempting to use cx_Oracle for 8i, via the Windows Installer for Python
2.3 found on their website for the task (installing onto Windows NT). The
install went smoothly enough (the file ended up in
C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\cx_Oracle.pyd), and I thought I'd be all set.
Instead I get the error below, which indicates a failure to find a DLL file,
but not which one.

Locally, I'm running 8.0.5.0.0 for all my connection/SQLPlus/EasyConfig/etc
needs, and 'm trying to connect to an 8.1.6.2.0 8i server, but I doubt the
last piece matters, since it's failing on the import.

I'm fairly comfortable with python, but not at all with C, DLLs, and the
like, so this error is outside of my zone.  Might anyone here have some
suggestions for tracking down the problem, or better yet, solving it
outright?

Thanks,
Sean

------the error--------
PythonWin 2.3.2 (#49, Oct  2 2003, 20:02:00) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32.
Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond (mhammond at skippinet.com.au) - see
'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.
>>>import cx_Oracle
Traceback (most recent call last):
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.