[DB-SIG] API suggestion: expose 'quote' method

Federico Di Gregorio fog at debian.org
Tue Jun 3 11:34:53 EDT 2003

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered M.-A. Lemburg's letter:
> Chris Cogdon wrote:

> >This would be VERY hard if I had to organise the SQL, and the list of
> >parameters independantly before finally passing it to the 'execute'
> >method which binds the two together.
>
> I don't buy that. By "quoting" you actually mean "binding" and you
> thus lose all the benefits of having the SQL separated from the
> data.

agreed.

> The good thing about binding parameters is that the user
> does *not* have to worry about quoting (plus it usually buys
> a performance gain for next to nothing).
>
> Of course, if some APIs think it's worth exposing such a quote
> function, they are free to do so. It shouldn't be required, though.

i sometimes log all queries while debugging an app. having quote will
make much easier to log queries with parameters and discover binding
problems et al. thus, yes, quote is usefull to me.

--
Federico Di Gregorio
Debian GNU/Linux Developer & Italian Press Contact        fog at debian.org
  Those who do not study Lisp are doomed to reimplement it. Poorly.
                                     -- from Karl M. Hegbloom .signature