[DB-SIG] Towards a single parameter style

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:37:20 +0100

Anthony Tuininga wrote:
> ODBC is (I believe) not common to all platforms, right? That makes it
> rather useless as a replacment for the Python DB API. Besides, the API
> is considerably different, right? That would make transition quite
> painful. But yes, a parsing bypass is a necessity for those cases where
> the parser can't handle something.

Just to correct this:

ODBC is a standard which is available on Windows, Unix and Mac OS X.
It takes care of whatever parameter style conversion is needed
and has support for both parameter binding aware backends as well
as ones which don't support this. It uses the 'qmark' parameter
style, BTW.

mxODBC takes care of wrapping ODBC in a DB-API compatible way
and is available on Window, Unix and Mac OS X as well -- providing
the same consistent interface on all these platforms.

So yes, ODBC is a solution. Whether it's the right solution
depends on your needs and requirements, YMMV.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 17 2003)
Python UK 2003, Oxford:                                     43 days left
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                       127 days left