[DB-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] database APIs

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl@samba-tng.org
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:22:36 +0000

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 05:14:29PM -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:

> I don't know what that would look like.  I'm more confident of the
> utility and feasibility of creating a domain-specific wrapper to deal
> with database differences.  For instance, SQLObject's functionality (at
> least for now) requires only a small wrapper, mostly to handle the
> insert ID issue.  Layering abstractions can quickly become unwieldy,
> and I feel strongly that SQLObject (or any other similar system) is
> best written solely on the DB 2.0 API.

i was basically proposing that the DBconnection module or something
like it be made a standard base class / convention, in the same
way that the DB 2.0 API is an accepted convention.

only specifically related to SQL.

a bit like ODBC is a standard.

that sort of thing.

l. [running out of steam and doing lots of vague hand-waving]

p.s. maybe this is too small an issue to be worth while considering
as a standard?