[DB-SIG] Already begun work on something similar...

Tom Jenkins tjenkins@devis.com
10 Jul 2002 10:51:38 -0400

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 18:00, Jon Franz wrote:
> I've begun work on such a wrapper myself, but was only just past the
> planning stages...  Its very ADO-alike, but stripped down to the most-used
> pieces.  I'm taking what I like from ADO, perl-DBI, Delphi DB Objects, and
> trying to make something exceedingly easy to use for the average joe.
>
> The _main_ thing I see missing from the DB API, that makes the wrapper
> I'm working on quite a pain, is a fetch-column-by-name capability, instead
> of indexing into the returned tuple via a number.  Of course, I may be
> looking past something in the documentation that aloows this - so
> enlighten me.  Even if its just a quick wrokaround, it'd be helpful.

dtuples does this.
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/81252

also alot of drivers themselves implement this functionality
themselves.  psycopg through another set of methods; pypgsql through a
flag in how to return fetch results; mysqldb does too (but i don't know
how as i don't use mysql)

--

Tom Jenkins
Development InfoStructure