[DB-SIG] XML Databases and Python

TORZEC Nicolas thesard FTRD/DIH/LAN nicolas.torzec@rd.francetelecom.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:59:56 +0100

Dear all,
I am currently involved in a project where I am using Python and where I
manage (create /update /delete /select /use) many XML files.

- My original idea was to create my own XML file managing system, but
creating such a system will take a long time.
- My second idea was to use a lightweight relationnal database, but it's not
the easiest and the most efficient way to manipulate such semi-structured
data
- My third idea was to use a lightweight object-oriented database
- My fourth idea was to use a lightweight native XML database

What do you think about these solutions ?
According to your Python/XML/Database experience, what is the most
appropriate database type for this kind of job ?
Do you know lightweight relationnal, object-oriented or XML oriented
databases compatible with Python ? (preference is given to open source
projects)

Every advices are welcome :)

Thank you in advance for your help,
Nicolas

PS : this message is posted on xml-sig and on db-sig.