[DB-SIG] RFC: Higher level DB-API objects

Federico Di Gregorio fog@debian.org
12 Feb 2002 16:40:59 +0100

--=-IKDIEyJqv0AfVeIFR+Vi

Il mar, 2002-02-12 alle 16:11, Kevin Jacobs ha scritto:
[very interesting stuff snipped]
> These and other components are currently implemented in Python and are us=
ed
> in several very large business applications for several >$100M companies.
> Some of the code for the above features cannot be released, some cannot b=
> released in its current form, some can easily be exported and be useful
> immediately.  I _could_ get out the ole' chainsaw and gut the portions of
> our code base that I am free to release.  However, I'm not sure of the
> utility of handing out disjointed, incomplete and proprietary sets of
> functions and objects.
>=20
> Rather, I'd like to start discussions on how to make this code, or at lea=
st
> the ideas embodied by it, accessible to the general Python community.  I
> welcome any help that the members of this SIG have to offer and look forw=
ard
> to the ensuing discussions.  Eventually, I'd like to find a core group of
> developers to help write a comprehensive and unified high-level database
> library and business object interfaces that will significantly enhance
> Python's ability to compete with other languages and technologies.

i think the better thing is tring to get the best of both worlds. first
of all start the chainsaw and make available the code under a free
(open) license. nothing convoluted or half-free, just choose what you
like better (GPL, X11, BSD, ZPL, MPL) and release.

this is very important to solve the chiken-and-egg problem: until there
is no code it is very difficult to find developers and without
developers is quite hard to build a group working on the code.

then start working on some pieces of the code and start a discussion on
how to do it here or on some other mailing list dedicated to the
argument. but do that after releasing the code. almost 90% of the people
i know just get bored after a couple of email if don't have bits to work
on. you can just say "i have that code that does such and such and
misses such and such, what about it?" i am sure you'll get a lot of
ideas and patches.

hope this helps,
federico

--=20
Federico Di Gregorio
INIT.D Developer                                           fog@initd.org
  All'inizio ho scritto un programma proprietario, in esclusiva per il
   cliente; =E8 stato tristissimo, perch=E8 mi ha succhiato un pezzo di
   anima.                                           -- Alessandro Rubini

--=-IKDIEyJqv0AfVeIFR+Vi

--=-IKDIEyJqv0AfVeIFR+Vi--