[DB-SIG] Re: [XML-SIG] Looking for python compliant NXDs

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 11:42:33 +0100

Daniel Veillard wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:06:20AM +0100, TORZEC Nicolas thesard FTRD/DIH/LAN wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have many (more than 200.000) but small (less than 5Ko) XML files
> > representing a hierarchically organized annotated corpora.
> > I have planed to store this files in an XML database in order to make the
> > management of the corpus easier, but I can not decide on what DBMS to
> > choose.
> > Python being my favorite scripting language, I would like to access my data
> > and build specialized administration tools by the mean of programs written
> > in Python.
> >
> > So, in your own opinion, what XML DBMS should I use to store my data?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> > Nicolas.
> >

> > PS : I'm experienced in Relational DataBases (Oracle 8i) and in
> > Object-Oriented Databases (O2), but I would prefer to work with an open
> > source DBMS.
>
>   Then use Postgresql or MySQL
>       http://www.postgresql.org/
>       http://www.mysql.com/
>
>   Both use SQL and can be used from Python, you should feel at home.

I'll add SAP DB to that list:
	http://www.sapdb.org/

It's high performance, full SQL-92, has an Oracle SQL emulation,
stored procedures, in-process backups, etc. etc. and it's
Open Source ! (I wonder why SAP DB is not receiving more attention
in the Open Source world...)

There are native database interfaces for all of these or you add
another layer of abstraction and talk to them using mxODBC.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH