[DB-SIG] Common Database Module Implementation?

Paul Boddie Paul Boddie <Paul.Boddie@cern.ch>
Fri, 1 May 1998 19:13:39 +0200 (MET DST)

It occurred to me that, given the stated deficiencies of certain database
modules, and the non-uniformity of support that the modules provide for certain
DB-API features, to ask whether any thought has been made on a common, basic
module implementation which might be customised for each vendor's database. I
know that ODBC support is available, but for those of us who value the "native"
modules, I wondered whether customised versions of a reference implementation
might provide wider, better support of most DB-API features across most database
platforms.

Unfortunately I only have basic knowledge of Oracle Call Interface, and no
knowledge about how other database systems may be called in a similar way, but
might it be the case that there are several common parts to each database module
implementation, such as the data structures required to hold retrieved row
information, and the data structures required to represent certain database
types? Has anyone tried to modify one database module to work with another
database system?