[DB-SIG] ANN: DateTime type, version 0.1

M.-A. Lemburg lemburg@uni-duesseldorf.de
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 18:10:43 +0100

Jeffrey C. Jacobs wrote:

>         Cool!  It looks great, though one thing I might point out is that leap seconds are calculated as the 60th second of the 23rd hour of the 59th minute.  Thus, there is no 24th hour on leap-second days, only that extra 60th second.  There's a cool picture on the web somewhere which is taken from the USNO atomic clock during the last Leap Second on 30 June this year, which shows the 60th second.

I know, but the current conversion routines are a little simple minded
in this respect, which is why leap seconds turn out as:

>>> t = DateTime(729371, 86400)
>>> t
Sat Dec 13 24:00:00 1997

>         Okay, I've said my peace and will depart now.  I look forward to the new Database support and am happy that it is now very nearly complete.  Thank you all!

Depart ? There's still some work to be done and I'm sure you can
help ;-) On the todo list are DateTimeDelta to hold time differences,
some Calendars (esp. the Julian) and maybe some routines for doing
fuzzy date/time parsing - the strptime() function is a little strict
in this respect. Users don't always enter dates/times in the exact
predefined way, they insert spaces, tabs, switch order of date and
time, or just leave out some parts like the seconds.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg

send messages to: db-sig@python.org