[PYTHON DB-SIG] Re: ODBC for Pythonwin

Mark Hammond MHammond@skippinet.com.au
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:19:35 +1000

> While I can't say authoritatively, I think ODBC should follow
> the general dbapi described under the db-sig section of
> http://www.python.org.  Also look to the pipermail archives of
> the db-sig and the pythonwin-sig.  An example for the oraclemodule
> may well work with few or no modifications for ODBC
> (somebody correct me please).  I also thought there was an
> ODBC tutorial or something somewhere, but dunno where.

In the style of Python, I think ODBC should expose an ODBC interface,
and someone shoud write a dinky ODBCdb.py, which wraps the desired
API.  Then everyone has the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately, people who use ODBC see it almost as an API in its own
right, so Im not sure anyone would actually use it (I know that if
someone did it for DAO - the COM based database API - I definately
_wouldnt_ use it!)

Mark.

send messages to: db-sig@python.org