[PYTHON DB-SIG] [comp.lang.python] Date-Time requirements (esp. for databases)

Thomas Breuel tmb@best.com
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:18:32 -0800

    >>> Jim Fulton wrote
    > Petri Raitio wrote:
    > > I wonder if it would make sense to use the separator as a format
    > > specifier and have format-specific DMY orders, so that 10/30/1996 and
    > > 30.10.1996 would be valid dates but 30/10/1996 and 10.30.1996 would
    > > not.  This way, it would be easy for us Europeans to specify a native
    > > format date in a program written in the US.
    >
    > This is an interesting idea.  Is the correlation between delimiter and
    > order really that strong?

    I doubt it. Australia uses D/M/Y, and, f'r instance, every piece of paper
    I've seen from a bank has a field like   __ / __ / ____ and expects day,
    month, year. (actually, they usually have it like __ / __ / 19__, but that's
    just banks being morons.)

In the US, "/" pretty strongly suggest "month/day" order, while other
delimiters ("-", ".") pretty strongly suggest "day-month" order (the
year is unambiguous right now, either because it's 4 digits, or because
it's too large to be a day or month).  In fact, if an Australian uses
"/" in dates in business correspondence with the US, they will be
misunderstood.  Complete lack of a delimiter (19961031) strongly
suggests YMD order.

Of course, the least ambiguous way of writing dates is using three
letter abbreviations for the month and four digit years (10 Jan 1996).
I believe that, at least for the most common languages using Roman
script, the months are unambiguous even if you don't know the language
that the date was written in.

Thomas.

send messages to: db-sig@python.org