[Datetime-SIG] Calendar vs timespan calculations...

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 31 05:15:51 CEST 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 6:09 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 07/30/2015 06:04 PM, Tim Peters wrote:
>
> I like Alexander's new tzstrict (subclass of tzinfo) idea best so far.

hmm -- somehow the tz object really feels like the wrong place for it.

If you don't like flags, why not a datetime subclass? -- is that any more
ugly than another tzinfo subclass?

We should also think about how to handle the Period arithmetic case --
would that be a special kind of tzinfo object? I would think not -- after
all, you'd certainly need a different kind of timedelta object. It would be
nice not to have too many new objects.

-Chris

> Flags invariably create nasty problems, like:
>>

> It's growing on me, too.
>
> The flag idea was per-instance, though, not global (and not changeable
> once an instance was created), so most of those horrible nightmare
> situations wouldn't happen.  And, yeah, I remember that Guido doesn't like
> flags.  ;)
>
> --
> ~Ethan~

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov