[Datetime-SIG] What's are the issues?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 16:04:24 CEST 2015

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com:
> But, as the docs have always pointed out, it (specifically .fromutc(),
> which is at the base of all relevant calculations) doesn't even try to
> handle transitions due to _other_ causes.  The only other such cause
> I'm aware of is when a timezone's _base_ offset from UTC changes (not
> a temporary DST transition, the timezone's "standard" offset changes
> permanently (meaning until someone decides to change it again)).

Wait, what?

This will be handled in the exact same way as DST changes, and if this
is incorrect, then reasonably, so is the DST handling.

What is "incorrect" here is of course a matter of opinion. I think
it's incorrect because it doesn't agree with reality, you have claimed
that it is correct, in "as per design". But then reasonably that goes
for this case as well? The same thing happens, which is that depending
on the transitions direction, you can either end up in a time that
doesn't exist, or one that happens twice.

//Lennart