[Datetime-SIG] Timezone database Was: PEP-431/..

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 00:08:32 CEST 2015

I changed the subject and removed PEP-495 from it because it is beyond the
scope of PEP-495.

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> BTW, as I read it, PEP 431's biggest contribution was to bring access to a
> timezone database into the stdlib -- is that idea dead?

I don't think it is dead, but I think it is premature.  There are plenty of
improvements that we can bring to the datetime module while staying within
the confines of POSIX interface to the system time zones.  Along the way,
we will certainly make the lives of tzinfo providers easier and hopefully
one of the packages such as pytz will get to the point where PEP-431-bis
will consist of  one line: "Let's accept pytz into Python standard
library."