[Cython] Cython 0.29 – or 29.0 ?

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Sat Aug 18 04:24:45 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-17 11:44, Stefan Behnel wrote:
> Hej, that gives us an alternative for the versioning switch. We could
> release Cython 3.0 when we change the default language level (and require
> users to select "language_level=2" for legacy code). Definitely a breaking
> change that merits inceasing the major version, and 3.0 seems very suitable.

One annoying point with language_level=3 is that all string literals
become unicode (like from __future__ import unicode_literals). Unlike
the other changes that language_level=3 makes, this is a major breaking
change on Python 2.

So I would very much prefer enabling everything that language_level=3
does, but keeping strings of type "str" on Python 2. Maybe you could
invent a new option for that, say "language_level=3str"?

Jeroen.