[Cython] Fwd: Question about how best require compiler options for C sources

Jeroen Demeyer jdemeyer at cage.ugent.be
Tue Apr 12 04:25:07 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-12 10:08, Erik Bray wrote:
> OSX issues aside, I was under the impression that this is needed for
> cysignals in particular.

No. cysignals is complicated, but it doesn't need dynamic linking to
Python modules (.so files). It does need "internal" linking: it needs to
link a non-Cython-generated .c file together with a Cython-generated .c
file into one Python module. It uses "cdef public" for that, so it would
run in exactly the problem that this thread is about.

So I personally would not mind if Cython would completely drop support
for exporting symbols from C extensions (which, AFAIK, doesn't work on
OS X anyway).