[Cython] can we deprecate for-from loops?

Josh Ayers josh at ayers.pw
Mon Oct 12 14:40:54 EDT 2015

When the step size is a variable, the range statement falls back to a
Python for loop since the direction of the loop is unknown.  The "i from
a <= i < b by c" syntax specifies the direction, so it is turned into a
C for loop.  The difference is performance could be substantial.

This produces a Python for loop:

def python_loop(Py_ssize_t a, Py_ssize_t b, Py_ssize_t c):
    cdef Py_ssize_t i
    for i in range(a, b, c):
        pass

This produces a C for loop:

def c_loop(Py_ssize_t a, Py_ssize_t b, Py_ssize_t c):
    cdef Py_ssize_t i
    for i from a <= i < b by c:
        pass