[Cython] [cython-users] To add datetime.pxd to cython.cpython?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Feb 21 22:37:13 CET 2013

Hi,

I think this discussion is actually better suited for the cython-devel
mailing list. We should move it over there.

Zaur Shibzukhov, 21.02.2013 20:59:
> четверг, 21 февраля 2013 г., 16:59:20 UTC+3 пользователь Stefan Behnel
> написал:
>> Zaur Shibzukhov, 21.02.2013 11:25:
>>> Last time I actively used datetime module. Because I needed fast
>>> creation
>>> of date/time/datetime instances I wrote datetime.pxd. It contains much
>>> of
>>> datetime API from datetime.h + two extended version for time/datetime
>>> creation. Does it make sense to include datetime.pxd in cython.cpython?
>>
>> Given that datetime.h is actually part of the header files that CPython
>> installs, it makes total sense to me to include it. Please provide a pull
>> request on github for it.
>
> OK. I will create pull request with datetime.pxd + tests

Great.

>> However, I don't know what you mean by "extended version for time/datetime
>> creation". Could you show us the code for that first?
>>
> Datetime.h from cpython contains factory functions for creation
> time/datetime without timezone info.
> But actually datetime module contains public definition of factory
> functions for creation time/date with timezone info, which are not in
> cpython's datetime.h.
> I could create datetime_ex.h for these functions in order to include them
> in datetime.pxd. The problem: how to adopt datetime_ex.h to Cython...
>
> Current datetime.pxd looks like:
> [...]

I was more interested in the parts that are not in the public header file.
Could you list those?

Letting Cython generate those definitions isn't really all that much of a
problem. We already do this for the stdlib array module, which doesn't have
a public header file at all.