[Cython] Surprising behaviour wrt. generated tp_clear and tp_dealloc functions

Torsten Landschoff torsten.landschoff at dynamore.de
Mon Apr 22 13:56:16 CEST 2013

Hi Stefan,

On 04/22/2013 01:50 PM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
> Exactly - an extremely special case. It's an inherent property of the
> Cython language that user visible references are never NULL. (minus
> evil C code, obviously.)
Suits me.
>> a good idea would be to warn if __dealloc__ actually references a
>> Python attribute that tp_clear could have cleared, with a pointer to the
>> class decorator that exempts the attribute/instance from tp_clear.
> That's a good idea.
>
> Any help with this is appreciated. :)
How can I help? If you want, I can attempt to create a patch and ask you
if I don't make any progress.
I do not have a good grip at Cython sourcecode yet, so if you can give
me a head start by pointing out the locations where I can inject the new
behaviour this would be most welcome.
About the object graph analysis I do not know if that is easily added. I
thought it might be because Cython already has some type inference in
place!?

Greetings, Torsten

--
DYNAmore Gesellschaft fuer Ingenieurdienstleistungen mbH
Torsten Landschoff

Office Dresden
Tel: +49-(0)351-4519587
Fax: +49-(0)351-4519561

mailto:torsten.landschoff at dynamore.de
http://www.dynamore.de

DYNAmore Gesellschaft für FEM Ingenieurdienstleistungen mbH
Registration court: Stuttgart, HRB 733694
Managing director: Prof. Dr. Karl Schweizerhof, Dipl.-Math. Ulrich Franz