[Cython] buffer shape incompatible with memoryview shape

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Jun 21 13:36:01 CEST 2012

Dag Sverre Seljebotn, 21.06.2012 13:10:
> On 06/21/2012 10:59 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> I find this worth fixing for 0.17:
>>
>> http://trac.cython.org/cython_trac/ticket/780
>
> I'm not sure about the timeline here.
>
> The object<->memoryview semantics haven't even been hammered down yet; does
> "mview.customattr" trigger an AttributeError, SyntaxError or fall back to
> some underlying object (constructing it if necesarry).
>
> Until that happens, memoryviews are an experimental feature and present for
> development purposes mostly, so it's not like this is a big bug that would
> bite end-users. Thinking about those semantics is much more important...

Absolutely.

I ran into this when I gave a Cython+NumPy course and this was the first
thing that the attendants tried when I asked them to validate that two
input arrays have the same size before adding them. It's the one obvious
way to do it, and it fails miserably. I think it should be fixed, and I
think it should be fixed soon because it feels really low-level and
complicated, especially to new users.