[Cython] Fwd: Re: [Numpy-discussion] Proposed Roadmap Overview

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 18:19:29 CET 2012

On 21 February 2012 04:42, Robert Bradshaw <robertwb at math.washington.edu> wrote:
> Python bytecode -> LLVM is a great idea for creating ufuncs, the
> overhead of Cython + GCC is atrocious for stuff like this. (I think
> Cython could make a good frontent as well, especially if we generated
> just the .c code for the function rather than a full extension module
> and used a good compiler to generate machine code in-memory
> on-the-fly.)

I want elementwise functions and reductions for Cython as well, but
they would be specialized according to the types you use them for, so
it wouldn't be atrocious bloat (at least, no more then you'd already
be having).
I've been giving profile guided optimizations some thoughts as well, I
think they are most neatly handled through a python tracer that is
installed e.g. through sitecustomize which collects data about types,
time spent in which code regions etc during testing and development.
You can then tell Cython to compile the module, so e.g. if it
registered "a numpy array" it could generate some specializations for
dtypes either statically or dynamically through OpenCL. The
alternative approach using code instrumentation would be more of a
chore but would work just as well for Cython code with object-typed
arguments. That's all rather far off, and this looks like an
interesting development.