[Cython] Cython 0.16

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at math.washington.edu
Sat Oct 29 19:05:00 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 4:41 AM, mark florisson
<markflorisson88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hm ok I'll disable them then. Pointers and some other dtypes are also
> not supported yet. As for the documentation, have you guys reviewed
> the documentation for fused types and memoryviews?

I looked at the fused types docs.

> For instance this
> is the introduction for memoryviews:
>
> "
> Typed memoryviews can be used for efficient access to buffers. It is
> similar to the current buffer support, but has more features and
> cleaner syntax. A memoryview can be used in any context (function
> parameters, module-level, cdef class attribute, etc) and can be
> obtained from any object that exposes the PEP 3118 buffer interface.
> "
>
> but I'm not sure this new functionality won't confuse users of the old
> buffer support.
>
> For fused types, cython.numeric only includes long, double and double
> complex. I think that should be changed to short, int, long, float,
> double, float complex and double complex.

Yes. What about size_t, ssize_t, and Py_ssize_t?

> I was deliberately avoiding
> long long and long double as they (if not used as a base type) would
> be preferred over the others and may be a lot slower. But then, such
> usage wouldn't be very useful. Should I include them then?

That's a good question. Perhaps these two could be used if explicitly
requested, or for dispatching from a Python long (in Py2) or
non-word-sized int (in Py3).

> On 29 October 2011 10:30, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:
>> Re b), it would be better to disable object dtypes (or emit a warning about
>> the possible bug when using them) than to delay the release. Object
>> memoryviews are rare in the first place, and those who contain themselves
>> should be very rare.

+1 to a warning, especially if the problem is only related to circular