[Cython] compiler performance issue for extended utility code

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Oct 16 20:46:03 CEST 2011

mark florisson, 08.10.2011 15:18:
> On 8 October 2011 13:10, Vitja Makarov wrote:
>> I've also noticed that some utilities are loaded unconditionally
>> perhaps it's better to introduce lazy loading.
>
> Well, they shouldn't be. If they are it's generally a bug. I noticed
> that it happens in the test runner though, although it should create a
> fresh context with freshly initialized entries.

I recently ran only the couple of with-statement related tests through
cProfile and it told me that it had spent something like 20 seconds in
"builtin method sub()", i.e. doing completely useless string processing,
followed by some 3 seconds or so for the rest of the compilation and test
execution. That doesn't sound right.