[Cython] Incompatibility with numpy-1.5.1 - fixed in master?!

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 18:45:31 CEST 2011

On 15 April 2011 11:20, Yury V. Zaytsev <yury at shurup.com> wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> I have just ran into buffer protocol incompatibility problem with
> numpy-1.5.1, which lead me to discover the following ticket (discussed
> back in December 2010 on this list):
>
> http://trac.cython.org/cython_trac/ticket/630
>
> In despair, I was about to try to see if there is anything I can do to
> fix it myself. To this end I cloned your git repository and set up my
> Python environment to use the latest bleeding edge version from there.
>
> To my surprise I discovered that my code started working and I don't
> have the buffer interface problem that I was facing before anymore.
>
> So my suggestion would be to maybe test it more thoroughly and if it is
> indeed the case, close the ticket. I tried to subscribe to it or leave a
> comment, but I need an account which I can't register on my own.

I'm opposed to close the ticket. Cython cannot currently parse format
strings according to the full spec. It worked for you just because of
some quick fixes I've pushed for simple cases.

> Still, I have the following question: which risks am I running by using
> the bleeding edge version and is there any chance this could inflict
> cancer on me?

Well, usually the bleeding edge is more featured and bug-free than
latest release. However, right now, generator support was merged and
you could have some performance regressions. But I'm using the
bleeding edge for every day development work of mpi4py/petsc4py.

> Do you have plans to make a new point release which includes this very
> important improvement anytime soon?

Not sure, we still have some (performance) regressions to fix, all of
them related to the new generators support.

--
Lisandro Dalcin