[Csv] Thoughts about a patch

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Mon Mar 15 00:21:58 CET 2004

>Don't go all-out on this. Simply interpret '\\\n' as '\n', just like
>we interpret '\\:' as ':' (if ':' is the field separator). After all,
>'\n' (or, in general, the record separator) is just as much a special
>character in need of quoting as the other three (escape, delimiter,
>and quote character).

I guess that sounds reasonable.

It's often very difficult to make changes to code that is in the standard
distribution - there always seems to be someone relying on the previous
behaviour... 8-)

You might want to make sure that, inside quotes, the special meaning of
the escape character is removed (on the basis that Excel uses quotes
exclusively (no quote character). However - I suspect we didn't get
this right, and still honour the escape within a quoted string - if you
find that we still honour the escape within a quoted string, your change
should too (to remain consistent).

Did that make any sense?

http://www.object-craft.com.au/