[Csv] RE: Number of lines in CSV files

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jan 29 17:02:05 CET 2003

    Cliff> I guess we need to decide what we mean by "dialect": do we mean
    Cliff> "this data _will_ import into this application" or do we mean
    Cliff> "this data will be written in a format this application can
    Cliff> understand, but might not necessarily be able to use"?

When I proposed "variant" and later "dialect" I was only referring to the
format of the file.  I wasn't concerned directly with whether a specific
application would be able to process it.  For example, it appears that
Gnumeric can import Excel-generated CSV files just fine.  Accordingly, if I
know I'm going to read the file into Gnumeric, I might just as well specify
"excel" as the dialect for the writer.

Skip