[CSV] Number of lines in CSV files

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 29 01:38:15 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 16:25, Andrew McNamara wrote:
> >So, +1 on punt? <wink>
>
> +1 on punt from me.
>
> >Actually I think this particular aspect would be fairly simple to
> >handle.  Another attribute of a dialect could be sizelimits = (maxrows,
> >maxcols) and set to (None, None) if the programmer doesn't care or just
> >wants to bypass that check.
>
> Kitchen sink - we'll end up making the dialect's too specific for the user
> to be able to choose ("do I have Excel2000 with SP2 applied, or...").
> I bet it even varies by region of the world (for example, the Chinese
> edition probably has different limits).

What do you mean by "kitchen sink"?  Are you saying that CSV shouldn't
have an option to play tetris while the file is loading?  This is going
to disappoint a lot of emacs users.

Okay, +1 on punting file size.  Unless anyone else cares to argue it I
suppose we'll leave it out.

> I have a sneeking suspician that Excels CSV parsing code is resonably
> stable - they're probably not game to make changes now that it mostly
> works. We might find that dialect="excel" is good enough.

Probably.  This can be fixed via bug reports (and dialects added) if
that changes.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)