ASV

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Jan 27 19:13:02 CET 2003

I downloaded and installed Laurie Tratt's ASV module today and extended my
shootout script to try it.  It's considerably slower than DSV (by about 15x
on my sfsample.csv file, which makes it something like 75-150x slower than
csv) and doesn't appear to handle newlines within fields, generating 17 rows
instead of 13 on nastiness.csv.  It also seems to ignore all whitespace at
the beginning of fields, irregardless of field quoting, so for the first
line of nastiness.csv it returns

    ['Column1', 'Column2', 'Column3']

instead of

    ['Column1', 'Column2', ' Column3']

It does generate the same results as DSV and csv for my sfsample.csv script,
though that file is very well-behaved (fully quoted, no whitespace
surrounding delimiters).

I'm not aware that it has any interesting properties not available in either
DSV or csv, so I'm inclined to not consider it further.

Skip