[Csv] ignore blank lines?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Feb 12 16:11:06 CET 2003

    John> Does Skip mean a blank line "...\n \n..." or an empty line
    John> "...\n\n..."  ???

I meant a line which consists of just the lineterminator sequence.

Here's my use case.  In the DictReader class, if the underlying reader
object returns an empty list and I don't catch it, I wind up returning a
dictionary all of whose fields are set to the restval (typically None).  The
caller can't simply compare that against {} as the caller of csv.reader()
can compare the returned value against [], so it makes sense for me to elide
that case in the DictReader code.

I modified DictReader.next() to start like:

    def next(self):
        row = self.reader.next()
        while row == []:
            row = self.reader.next()
        ... process row ...

Does that behavior make sense in this case?

Skip