[Csv] multi-character delimiters, take two

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Feb 6 23:39:19 CET 2003

At work I've been installing Firewall-1.  I finally got it installed and
enabled today, protecting a single test machine.

Of course, the bad guys are knocking on the door, so I have a growing
logfile.  "Hmmm, 'twould be nice to pop this data into Python and see what
it looks like," I thought.  I dumped the logfile on the firewall itself.  No
dice, it's just plain, undifferentiated text.  Damn.  So I tried exporting
it through the export interface on the management client which runs on
Windows.  Lo and behold, there was a fairly nice looking CSV file, all
fields quoted with '"', except...  the delimiter is two spaces.  I popped it
up in XEmacs to be sure it wasn't a TAB.

What are these people thinking?

So now I've encountered two examples (including my old client in Austria) of
honest-to-goodness tabular data (that is, not fabricated by mad perl hackers
out to trip us up with "well, what if?" games) where the delimiter between
fields is more than a single character.  There are probably others out
there, just waiting to be discovered.  Any chance the len(delimiter) == 1
restriction could be relaxed?

Skip