[Cryptography-dev] AES-CTR with 256 bit keys

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 20:09:34 EST 2023

This is not correct, block size and key size are not the same thing
for symmetric encryption algorithms.

AES's block size is always 128-bit, it's not something cryptography
chooses to use, it's the definition of the algorithm.

Alex

On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 8:02 PM Arshad Khan <khan.m.arshad at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a question regarding AES in python cryptography which uses a block size of 128 bits. Currently I am using 256 bit keys with AES in CTR mode. However, internally the python cryptography uses a block size of 128. My understanding is that block size and key size are the same for symmetric encryption. How does a 256 bits key work in this case? Appreciate if someone could provide some explanation about this and clear my confusion.
>
> Thanks
> Arshad

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.