[Cryptography-dev] [Proposal] Deprecating and removing support for OpenSSL 0.9.8

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 16:58:33 EST 2016

Hi all,

I'd like to propose we deprecate support for OpenSSL 0.9.8 in our next
release, and remove support in the release after (we already emit warnings
in our current release, so this is consistent with our schedule).

Rationale: OpenSSL 0.9.8 is old, does not support modern web security (e.g.
no TLS 1.2), and supporting it adds complexity, in the form of hundreds of
additional lines of code and configuration options.

Supporting data: As of pip 8 (released this week, already used for
something like 1/3 of PyPI downloads), the user agent of pip includes the
system's OpenSSL version. Looking at the data (excluding Windows and OS X,
since on those platforms we include OpenSSL 1.0.2 in our wheels). The
overall distribution is:

Indicating that OpenSSL 0.9.8 on Linux repersents less than 1% of all
installations.

Looking at per-package data, here are the percent of downloads using
OpenSSL 0.9.8 for some relevant packages:

- unidecode: 7.6% (This is the package with the highest percent of 0.9.8
users)
- rsa: 3.3%
- pyasn1: 2.2%
- requests: 1.6%
- pycrypto: 0.8%
- pip: 0.6%
- pyopenssl: 0.4%
- letsencrypt-apache: 0.3%
- cryptography: 0.3%

I think these numbers are low enough that we can safely drop OpenSSL 0.9.8
support.

Platforms specifically known to be affected:
- RHEL/CentOS 5 and older
- Debian Squeeze (baed on OpenSSL version, this is where most of the
affected users will be).

Thoughts? Will you be affected by this?
​Alex

GPG Key fingerprint: 125F 5C67 DFE9 4084