[Cryptography-dev] Building on Windows 7, 64x

kab khalid.abubakr at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 9 15:51:59 CET 2014

Congratulations on the release

Given the nature of the package, I opted to build everything from source. I started with openssl-1.0.0l and once that was built and installed, I set  the include and lib environment variables for cryptography's build process to use.

It turns out, however, that the openssl build creates two libraries: libeay32.lib and ssleay32.lib. This of course cause the build process of cryptography to fail since it cannot find crypto.lib and ssl.lib.

But since I've come to know that libeay32.lib is crypto.lib and likewise ssleay32.lib is ssl.lib, I copied the original libraries (libeay32.lib and ssleay32.lib) to the same directory they were installed in by the openssl installation process and renamed them crypto.lib and ssl.lib respectively.

This made cryptography's build complete successfully and the package was installed without problems. Here is the summary output of py.test:

=================================== ERRORS ====================================
____________________ ERROR collecting tests/test_fernet.py ____________________
tests\test_fernet.py:40: in <module>
>   class TestFernet(object):
tests\test_fernet.py:42: in TestFernet
>           ("secret", "now", "iv", "src", "token"), "generate.json",
tests\test_fernet.py:32: in json_parametrize
>       with open(path) as f:
E           IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'J:\\projs\\cryptograp
hy-0.1\\tests\\vectors\\fernet\\generate.json'
=========== 15473 passed, 47261 skipped, 1 error in 291.69 seconds ============

I hope someone will find this useful.

Khalid