[Cryptography-dev] 0.2

Alex Stapleton alexs at prol.etari.at
Fri Jan 17 23:17:44 CET 2014

By "our ECDSA API" do you mean cryptography or PyOpenSSL?

Bindings for PyOpenSSL are relatively easy so that sounds entirely sensible :-)

(Apologies if this next part turns out to be OT.)

On the other hand the things blocking asymmetric progress in cryptography
are as I understand it:

1. Proposals and review of signing interfaces.
2. Thread safety of key generation due to the RNG. (Maybe other bits
effected by this too.)
3. Key serialisation. (PKCS needs PBES/PBKDF really, and some changes to
our symmetric interface maybe.)
4. Refactoring of OpenSSL error handling.
5. Fork safety mitigation for the OpenSSL RNG.
ECDSA might be OK without 3, which also makes 4 a lot easier as it avoids
complex error paths in OpenSSL. I think the osrandom RNG patch for 5 might
turn out to fix 2 for now as well?

Some of these issues probably effect usage in PyOpenSSL and twisted too so
maybe we can borrow some solutions from there :-)

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com