[Cryptography-dev] RSA key generation -- minimum key size?

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 16:39:12 CET 2014

Hey all,

The last major issue blocking landing RSA key generation is a discussion
over whether or not to enforce a minimum key size for newly generated keys.

I am advocating for requiring that key_size be >= 1024. Here is why:

* Smaller keys are factorable (768 is known to be factored publicly, it's
extremely likely even larger is factorable by nation states); there is
basically no reason to use these keys.
* PyCrypto enforces a 1024 minimum, which means there is no difficulty in
porting applications; as there would be if we used a larger minimum
* Loosening the check in the future is much easier, from a backwards
compatibility perspective, then tightening it.

Thus, 1024 seems like a reasonable balance of these concerns.

How do other people feel?
Alex

GPG Key fingerprint: 125F 5C67 DFE9 4084