[Cryptography-dev] Bundling OpenSSL

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Oct 8 00:21:52 CEST 2013

On Oct 7, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Zooko Wilcox-OHearn <zooko at leastauthority.com> wrote:

> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/cryptography-dev/2013-October/000091.html
> ]
>
>> 1 Do we want to bundle a backing library to ensure that there is always a minimal level of support?
>
> We've found it necessary to do this in pycryptopp, even though it
> means we support both the bundled and non-bundled builds.
>
>> 2 Do we want to bundle OpenSSL or is there another backing library that we'd want to bundle? (Easier to build, more portable etc?)
>
> I personally wouldn't recommend OpenSSL, because its source code is a
> mess and it has a bad reputation among cryptographers who've looked at
> it (by which I mean Matt Green).

We'll support being backed by OpenSSL either way, exarkun wants to use
our bindings to power that. This library is going to support multiple
backing libs so someone could choose to use Crypto++ over OpenSSL
if they desired.

The question I guess becomes what features do we consider a minimum
as that will drive a lot of the decision making as to what library (if any) we
bundle as the "well we'll know for sure we have this available".