[C++-sig] Python support in boost::python (what version)

stefan stefan at seefeld.name
Thu May 16 15:56:49 EDT 2019

On 2019-05-16 3:43 p.m., Jones, Torrin A (US) wrote:

> What version of python does boost::python officially support?

Anything above version 2.2

> I noticed in the python build file (see link below), it will only find
> from version 1.5 to 3.4.  Does this mean that boost python really only
> supports up to 3.4? Folks do appear to be using other versions, but
> the fact that this only goes to 3.4 leads me to believe that is as far
> as it’s been tested.  Is that right?

Definitely not. You are right, though: this file needs to be fixed. (I'm
not maintaining this file myself, so I'll follow up with the relevant
people (Boost.Build).)

Boost internally regularly builds and tests Boost.Python with versions >
3.4. and I know various distributions containing Boost.Python packages
built against more recent Python versions.

See for example https://anaconda.org/anaconda/boost/files

> What are the official versions? Is there any documentation that says that?

Not really, as Boost only "officially" releases source packages. Users
are free to compile against a large range of tools and prerequisites
(compilers, Python versions, etc.).

If you find any issues building and running against a particular Python
version, please file a bug report, and I'll try to help as quickly as
possible.

Stefan