[C++-sig] Managing the GIL across competing threads

Stefan Seefeld stefan at seefeld.name
Sun Mar 18 17:05:38 CET 2012

On 2012-03-18 11:54, Jim Bosch wrote:
> On 03/17/2012 11:20 PM, Adam Preble wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Niall Douglas
>> <s_sourceforge at nedprod.com <mailto:s_sourceforge at nedprod.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     If by "Python side" you mean Boost.Python, then I agree: BPL has no
>>     support for GIL management at all, and it really ought to. This was
>>     one of the things that was discussed in the BPL v3 discussions on
>>     this list a few months ago.
>>

>> Hey do you know any terms or thread names where I could go digging
>> through some of those discussions?
>
> Look for "[Boost.Python v3]" and "New Major-Release Boost.Python
> Development" in the subject line.
>
> We didn't go into a lot of depth on the threading, I'm afraid, as one
> of the problems is that the guy starting the effort - me - doesn't
> actually know much about threaded programming.  But I am hoping that I
> can design things in such a way that someone like Niall could easily
> take it from there.

I recall seeing a discussion of locking policy being attached to
individual functions by means of the return-value and argument-passing
policy traits; in other words, something that's associated with
from-python and to-python conversion. I found that rather elegant. I'm
not sure whether anyone has any practical experience with that
technique, or whether it was just an idea worth exploring.

FWIW,
        Stefan