[C++-sig] boost.python and distutils

John Reid j.reid at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk
Tue Oct 26 13:22:53 CEST 2010

Hi,

I need to distribute a python package that includes a boost.python
extension. I've been working on Linux but I'd like the distribution to
install easily on any platform with boost and python.

I'm guessing distutils is the way to go. I'm not sure if the easiest way
is to try to get distutils to call bjam or somehow to code all the
compile and link options into the setup.py script (this seems like a
headache). If I get distutils to call bjam how can the setup.py script
know what the files are to install given different OSes and versions of
boost?

Perhaps just using a boost.build script would be easier than distutils.
This is what the boost.graph python bindings do.

Has anyone got any experience doing this?

Thanks,
John.