[C++-sig] boost.python - C++ class overridden in python causes slicing

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com
Tue Sep 8 20:31:57 CEST 2009

Hello Troy,

> I've been doing a bunch of work with osg recently.  I like it and badly
>  miss some boost.python bindings.  I'd be very interested to have a look
> at the code here, maybe pitch in a bit.  Is there a git archive I can
> clone, and a failing test I can run?

I was thinking of setting up a googlecode project for this work, because
there is at least one other person who might be interested in working
with me on it (Paul Melis). I'll see if I can do that soon.

I prefer to work with svn though (used to be CVS was oldschool, now it's
SVN, I know I'm behind the times), hope that's not a problem for you.

I would have liked to get the basic functionality working before setting
that up because there's already another project trying to wrap OSG to
python (osgSwig), so I'd like to be able to prove that my solution is
competitive with that one.

For reference, osgSwig have been having trouble lately wrapping the
classes derived (multiply) from osg::MixinVector<T>, and have relied on
patches to OSG that remove that derivation (essentially going back to
the OSG 2.6 versions of those classes). On the other hand, using
boost.python I can wrap things as I want, and I don't have any problem
wrapping classes derived from MixinVector<T>, so I think it's a better
route in the long run.

Anyways, yeah, I'll set up that project so you can run the actual code
and see the problem firsthand, hopefully that will make it easier to
help out.

Thanks for the offer,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay    jean-sebastien.guay at cm-labs.com