[C++-sig] Differences between 32-bit and 64-bit python25.lib

Jesse Lehrman jesse_lehrman at animationlab.com
Mon Jun 22 08:52:35 CEST 2009

I'm trying to compile SIP/PyQT 4.5 for Windows Python 64-bit. I'm running into an error when attempting to link the SIP/PyQT object files against python25.lib. The errors are "can't find reference..." to symbols that should be in python25.lib. I tried using the 32-bit version of python25.lib and it worked. This led me to look at python25.lib using dumpbin.exe. I'm using the install binaries from www.python.org.

It seems that most of the exports in the 32-bit version have a preceding underscore while in the 64-bit version they don't. For example:

python25.lib 32-bit:
                  _PyFloat_AsDouble
                  _PyFloat_AsReprString
                  _PyFloat_AsString
                  _PyFloat_Fini
                  _PyFloat_FromDouble
                  _PyFloat_FromString
                  _PyFloat_Type

python25.lib 64-bit:
                  PyFloat_AsDouble
                  PyFloat_AsReprString
                  PyFloat_AsString
                  PyFloat_Fini
                  PyFloat_FromDouble
                  PyFloat_FromString
                  PyFloat_Type

Does anybody have an idea of why this is done and how I can get around it?

Thank you,

Jesse