[C++-sig] what do I need to correctly port boost python extensions

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Mon Dec 14 23:09:31 CET 2009

Alexey Akimov <alexey.akimov85 at gmail.com> writes:
> However I am still wondering if there is a way to avoid rebuilding the
> extension when one travel from machine to machine.

The only way is to have exactly the same runtime environment (i.e.,
having installed the same distributions with the same version on the
same architecture). Otherwise you have to recompile.

> Suppose I want to run some calculations on a cluster using the
> extension. That means I need the library to be copied on every machine of
> that cluster (may be I am wrong with this but this is most straightforward
> way to clone the process).

Well, in a cluster you might be able to configure your systems
sufficiently homogenous that it works.

> Also this makes lot of potential troubles for
> other users who would want to work with such extension - do they need to
> rebuild extension module every time?

No, only once when they install it on their machine.

> I hope that there may exist some fancy way to avoid rebuilding the
> module (also to do this the user would need boost python installed,
> what may require some extra-work for that user).

No, there is no way to avoid that. Say hello to the realities of
software distribution :-).

   -Nikolaus