[C++-sig] new to python; old to C++

Alan Baljeu alanbaljeu at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 1 21:54:09 CET 2008

2008/11/1 Greg Landrum <greg.landrum at gmail.com>
<<<
My opinion is biased, of course, but I use PyBindGen, usually with the help of pygccxml for automatic scanning.  I recommend PyBindGen for people that dislike the kind of C++ template abuse that boost.python does.  Of course I also recommend anyone starting with pybindgen to be aware of its limitations, namely lack of support for multiple inheritance and C++ exceptions.

This is what attracts me to PyBindGen.  I dislike "template abuse", and my C++ doesn't use multiple inheritance or exceptions.  Any other limitations I should know?

<<<
pybindgen generated code also compiles fine with visual studio (or at least the unit test suite does).  You only need (py)gccxml for scanning code, not for generating.  And generated code does not require any library to compile.  And you can even skip (py)gccxml if you want API definitions "by hand", and this way depend only on pybindgen and python for code generation.  Finally, pybindgen is a small pure python module of which a copy can easily be included in the project itself ;-)

http://pybindgen.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/apidocs/index.html

So you use gccxml as well. Does it make a big diff?