[C++-sig] Announcing pybindgen

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 26 15:48:34 CEST 2007

Hans Meine wrote:
> On Mittwoch 26 September 2007, Gustavo Carneiro wrote:
>> Although I like Py++ a lot, I really hate Boost.Python.
> Alarm!  Wrong list! ;-P

Well, no, actually. This list is about python-C++ integration (see its
name). If you want a boost.python-specific list, it needed to be created
first. ;-)

>> Maybe it's because
>> of my lack of skill in understanding C++ templates, but I feel like
>> Boost.Python hides too many details underneath a layer of cryptic to follow
>> set of C++ templates, while I need to see the generated code in order to
>> check that memory management details are being declared and implemented
>> correctly.
> That's a matter of trust.  I like boost::python's memory management concepts a
> lot.  But you are right, that it is very difficult to look behind the scenes.
> You should not have to, but if you want, it's really... scary. ;-)

Yes, and that seems indeed to be one of the weak points of the library: it works
great as long as it works great. Once either the user makes an error, or
his requirements aren't quite covered, all in a sudden things become very muddy.

Regards,
		Stefan