[C++-sig] To Spicy For Py++ [was: A wrapped class contains another wrapped class. Hilarity ensues.]

Matthew Scouten matthew.scouten at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 20:59:31 CET 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 12:07 PM, Roman Yakovenko <roman.yakovenko at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2007 7:59 PM, Matthew Scouten <matthew.scouten at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > AH! yes that worked. Thank you so much. It seems the real WTF here was
> that
> > it seemed to work fine when the foo was instantiated directly from
> python.
> > Because that seemed to work, I thought I was doing everything right
> until I
> > get further into wrapping my library.
> >
> > Please ignore my earlier begging email. I was way the heck down the
> wrong
> > path, looking for the wrong solutions, and getting very frustrated.
>
> I suggest you to try Py++ ( http://www.language-binding.net/ ). It
> could help you to avoid such things.
>
> It has simple, but still useful GUI:
>
> http://language-binding.net/pyplusplus/documentation/tutorials/pyplusplus_gui.html

We did try that. GCC-XML chokes on our library code. It was originally
written for C,  and later ported to C++.  Along the way it picked up some
crazy preprocessor and template hacks and even some meta-template
programming. Granted most of this stuff is not the part we need to wrap, but
it is not easily separable. On top of all that, it was written with msvc8 in
mind, not GCC.

Even with with options set to emulate msvc8, GCC-XML generates hundreds of
error messages the last of which is "internal compiler error". It works fine
on other code, and our library compiles just fine on msvc8.

We thought it would be faster to just soldier on in raw Boost.Python.