[C++-sig] Complete confustion about using Boost.Python

Eduardo Picado eduardo.picado at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 11:41:15 CEST 2006

I understand that these instructions about building extensions are pretty
clear and complete:
"Building your Extension Module"
http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html#building_ext

What may be giving trouble is the following use case:
People read the tutorial "Building Hello World" and successful build the
example in
C:\boost_1_33_1\libs\python\example\tutorial.

Then, they move this directory out of boost hierarchy to create their own
extension,
configure "Jamfile" and "Jamrules" as described in the tutorial but cannot
compile.
Gives: "Unable to load Boost.Build: could not find "boost-build.jam"

This is because "boost-build.jam" is missing in the directory -now out of
the boost folder-
and it is not mentioned in the tutorial page.

So, an obvious solution is to put "boost-build.jam" in the tutorial folder,
and comment it in the tutorial.

Eduardo

On 9/20/06, David Huebel <davidhuebel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Which files are those?
>
> boost_1_33_1/libs/python/build/Jamfile, for one.
>
> The tutorial Jamfile says:
>
> # requirements and dependencies for Boost.Python extensions
> <template>@boost/libs/python/build/extension
> ;
>
> I extracted and built Boost in my home directory and set BOOST_ROOT to
> /home/david/boost_1_33_1, so the line above directs bjam to the
> directory /home/david/boost_1_33_1/libs/python/build.  If I remove
> /home/david/boost_1_33_1/libs/python/build/Jamfile and try to build an
> extension, I get:
>
> /home/david/boost_1_33_1/libs/python/build/Jamfile: No such file or
directory

> I know this file isn't available anywhere else on the system, because
> searching for all Jamfiles shows that they are all under the Boost
> build tree or in my extension projects.  (The Boost include files were
> installed to /usr/local/include/boost-1_33_1/boost/, and the Boost
> libraries were installed to /usr/local/lib64.)  That means I can't
> change BOOST_ROOT to point anywhere else, so I have to keep the build
> tree around to build extensions.
>
> >From your comments, I must be doing something wrong.  Can I do without
> libs/python/build/Jamfile?  Did I miss an option that would have
> installed it along with the rest of Boost?  Thanks for your patience.
>
> Regards,
> David Huebel

Eduardo PICADO
MSN eduardo.picado at gmail.com