[C++-sig] boost python liking problems

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Fri Jul 28 20:44:20 CEST 2006

"Eduardo Picado" <eduardo.picado at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to use Boost Python to wrap a 3rd party library. I have the
> headers, DLLs and a .lib file.
> When I try to compile my .cpp files I receive linkage errors:

Surely this is when you try to link your shared objects...

> -------------
> Creating library
> bin\telismaPyste\TASRNlSmlResult.pyd\msvc\debug\threading-multi\TASRNlSmlResult.lib
> and object bin\telismaPyste\TASRNlSmlResult.pyd\msvc\debug\threading-multi\TASRNlSmlResult.exp
> TASRNlSmlResult.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol
> "public: char const * __thiscall TASRNlSmlResult::str(void)const "
> (?str at TASRNlSmlResult@@QBEPBDXZ)

Are you sure you didn't just forget to define the member function

  TASRNlSmlResult::str() const

as denoted in the error message?  The message gives the impression
that it's supposed to be part of your code.  If not,

extension TASRNlSmlResult
: # sources
  whatever.cpp

  # requirements and dependencies for Boost.Python extensions
  <template>@boost/libs/python/build/extension

  : # additional requirements
    <library-file>path/to/library/containing/that/function.lib
  ;

HTH,

www.boost-consulting.com