[C++-sig] Consensus on threading with Boost.Python?

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Sun Jan 15 12:34:33 CET 2006

On 14 Jan 2006 at 16:31, Allen Bierbaum wrote:

> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/2944336
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/2260350
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/2260648
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1784436
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1465959
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1603259
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1607050
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1706806
>
> There have been patches proposed by Niall Douglas and Lijun Qin, but it
> seems that each of those had some limitations or constraints that made
> it less then perfect for a full solution.
>
> What is left to address?  What would it take to create a standard
> threading solution that would work for most people in most cases?

Well the TnFOX solution does have the advantage of transparent
operation but I agree it unlocks and locks the python GIL far too
often.

Ideally BPL should provide some method of marking up which entrances
in and out of Python should affect the python GIL. Then you can
annotate as desired.

The latest version of that threading patch to BPL is at
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/tnfox/trunk/Python/BoostPatches.zip?view
=log

Cheers,
Niall