[C++-sig] Re: Wrapper for exception translation

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Tue Mar 22 15:48:15 CET 2005

Colin Irwin <colin_irwin at hotmail.com> writes:

> I need to be able to translate custom C++ exceptions into similar Python
> entities, so was looking through the newsgroup for tips.  In particular,
> I would like the translated exceptions to be derived off Exception and
> not be limited to one of the already provided exceptions types.  I found
> this thread and am interested, as it seems to offer exactly the
> functionality required.
> What is the status of this functionality?  If some finishing of the
> implementation is required, then I'm prepared to have a look.  Can't say
> for 100% that I'll be able to do it - but I'll have a look. 8^)

It's easy enough to implement the guts.  What happened is that it
became clear I needed unnamed parameter support (like .def, where
parameters can come in any order) in order to implement a good
interface.  I started to look into extending the named parameters
library (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.announce/54,
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.announce/55) to support
unnamed parameters, and got stuck because I didn't understand the code
anymore (partly my own forgetfulness, partly the code itself).  Daniel
Wallin, the library's co-author was going to try to clear things up.
Since then, I'm not sure what's happened.

www.boost-consulting.com